Thursday, September 21, 2006

Oh the Life Of Special Ed

Every day in my special ed class is an adventure! It can range from the funniest to the most frustrating. You could never even try to imagine what might transpire in the day. A few examples: There is a certain boy in our class that thinks he is a super hero or at best the Hulk. His physique is more like the bulk but....... he thinks he's super fast, strong and all else that goes with a super hero. It's hard to get him to move some days so you have to get quite creative with things that motivate him to get up and move. It was time to go to PE and he has decided he wasn't going well he weights a great deal so physically moving him isn't an option. The teacher dealing with him at the moment told him that one teacher was Elastic Woman and that she was Golden Bracelet Mariah, a champion arm wrestler,and to keep their great powers they had to go to PE and excercise. Who cared about PE let's just arm wrestle! Oh my our imagination!

One student, if he's in the right mood loves to give you kisses on the cheek. At lunch the other day he came over to me to give me a kiss, WHOA planted right on the lips. I was thankful it was a dry one because if it would have been juicy I probably would have ralphed!

In my reading group I only have a couple of students that are doing a certain program. For some added incentive I told them that I would bring in donuts and chocolate milk if they finished next Friday. The boy in the group told me today that he would sneak in, open the window in the room and that I could hand the donuts in. It was staged like a bank robbery get-away.

Yesterday we had an incident that wasn't funny though. We were in PE playing whiffle ball in the gym. A couple of our students have to return to class early for early pick-ups. I had gone back to the class with them and was waiting with them. A peer tutor that was in PE with the rest came into the classroom a little excited. She said that our student and a regular ed student who happened to be Hispanic both reach home plate together to bat. The teacher said one would have to wait. Our student who comes from a very interesting in-not-so-good-of-a-way family looked at the other student and said that he should wait because he was black!Can we all guess what attitude is portrayed at his house . WOWSEY!

Oh the life of Special Ed!!

1 comment:

Deidra said...

Mom! That's nasty that you got kissed by a special kid. I would think Dad is bad enough... and you have to put up with more!

I miss being home and getting to hear the daily happenings of your class. I don't even know the students now, how sad! Hope today is a good adventure!